4/20/10

Women


All semester it seems like I've been hearing constant talk about the interconnectivity of women, the strength of women. That's all fine and good, but when your back hurts like it's broken, you're sobbing uncontrollably and you know the only person who will be able to make you feel even a little bit better is 204 miles away, interconnectivity and strength are at the very bottom of my totem pole.
What is the strength of women? Or the interconnectivity? Does strength mean not being able to say "I need you" to our lovers? Because that might be seen by some feminists as a faltering in feminine strength. Maybe the acknowledgment of a kind of love so deep it's a painful need is, actually, strength.
And how about interconnectivity? Is that supposed to be my ability to understand other women, inherently? As silly as that sounds, it may well be true. Nuances go over my head, of course, and women say and do nasty things sometimes, but on the whole, I do understand. I would hope that they understand me, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment