4/27/11

going off the deep end


I don't understand anti-gay beliefs. I know, that's a real humdinger of an opening statement, but I've just read a couple things and I'm a bit fired up. Where else to projectile vomit my personal opinions but on a public blog?

Salvation Army. An old friend's parents are generals (I'm pretty sure) in the Salvation Army. Very Christian family, which is all well and good, and the Salvation Army is in fact built on Christian principles, so that would make sense. You forget what kind of weight that carries in practice, though. The Salvation Army will refuse to help those who are homeless and in need if they are gay. I read a story of a man who went to the Salvation Army with his boyfriend and was turned away on account of his sexual orientation, and they were told that they could only receive aid if they broke up.

I must ask: why does anyone care? Not wanting to be around people who are gay because it puts a cramp in your Christian style is one thing. I say that very sarcastically, but I'm being serious: if it makes you uncomfortable, if you feel that by befriending someone who is gay goes against your beliefs, fine. You're annoying, but fine. I also understand why you wouldn't want two men/women getting married in your church. It goes against the values of that religion, and therefore is unacceptable to the patrons of that church. Completely understandable.

But why should anyone care what goes on behind closed doors? Assuming that Christianity is the be-all-end-all religion and God and Hell are real and true as the Bible states it, why do you care if they are damned to Hell when they die? It simply isn't your problem.

Also, were you aware that the Boy Scouts of America openly discriminates against those who identify as gay? This has multiple levels. If you are a young member of the organization and suddenly find the strength within yourself to recognize who you truly are and, furthermore, come out, they will forcibly remove you from the organization. If you are a gay father/guardian, you are not permitted to be a mentor/leader, nor are you allowed to host events for your child's troop because they do not want the children subjected to such deteriorated morals.

I wonder what these people think is going to happen to the children. Will too much time around people who are gay begin to slowly convert them to the dark side? Will they start shooting up heroine in back alleys because of the steady dose of moral corruption they have been suffering? Unlikely.

I think that's pretty much all I have to say on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment